This is our dog, Remy- the most totally awesomest dog ever-
My husband and my youngest daughter are severely allergic to cats and most dogs. Being a dog lover, I had suppressed my desire for a fur-baby far too long. It was like a clock ticking inside of me- you know how when you are desperate to have a baby you notice every single expectant mother? Well that is what happened to me… only I oohed and awed at every single dog I saw. It was just pathetic. So, one day I convinced my hubby to let me just look at rescue dogs on line. I fell in love with one- a poodle mix and emailed all the forms necessary to be considered for the adoption process. Several days later, I noticed his picture was gone from the website, and my hopes were dashed.
About a week later, I saw this same dog’s picture back on the rescue site, and I quickly sent an email to them explaining that I sent paperwork and was very interested in him. I got a response the next day, and went to see him at his “foster home”. He roamed the field with dogs 5x his size and held his own. He was confident and quiet. Fast on his feet and gentle with the girls. He was delivered to us a few days before my oldest daughter’s 8th birthday and we have been blessed ever since!
So, here are my top 10 reasons why he’s a most totally awesome dog-
1. He smiles at me. He has this little underbite and when he looks up at you, you can’t help but notice that he his smiling at you, and you have to smile back!!
2. He sneezes when he’s excited. It is the cutest thing ever- he sneezes when he wants to play with you, when he wants what you are eating, when he is excited about anything- he starts sneezing.
3. He gives us running hugs in the evenings. I mean just what I said- he will (completely out of the blue) run into the living room and jump into my or my husband’s lap and put his paws around our neck. Is that the sweetest thing ever?!
4. He allows me to enjoy a slower paced life. One of the things I love about having a dog is that it keeps you grounded at your homestead. I am a “homebody” and really do love being home. Having a dog gives me a great reason to get home at a decent time.
5. He stops and smells the roses. So, this reason is one that most pet owners will identify with- you go for a walk, and the instant he smells something, he will sniff for what feels like days and days… and it is usually when I am in a hurry to be somewhere. But this reminds me to enjoy God’s creation and to not be in such a hurry.
6. He loves to dance! Ok- so he might be scratching his back, but in our happy little minds, he is overcome with joy and throws himself on his back and wiggles away, smiling all the while.
7. He keeps watch over us. When any one of us are not home, he will faithfully sit by the basement stairs door, patiently waiting for whomever is not home. He does not sleep soundly until everyone is accounted for.
8. He loves for me to play the piano. No matter where he is, as soon as I sit down to play, I can hear the pitter-patter of his paws scurrying down the hallway to come be with me. Remy will lay on top of my right foot- the one that is pedaling the piano. Maybe he is just wanting a massage?!
9. His fur makes great stuffing for pillows. No joke! I clipped his fur a few months back, and my oldest daughter gathered it all up and said that she wanted to use it as stuffing and make a pillow so that she would be close to him while she slept. True story. She still has the bag of fur. No fur pillow yet…
10. He is a wonderful reminder to me that God cares about our every desire. I prayed to God for the perfect dog for our family- for a long time. I knew how severe my husband’s allergies and my daughter’s were, but I prayed that He would bring us the perfect dog to fit our family dynamics and health concerns. He is faithful in all things!
Take delight in the LORD, and he will give you the desires of your heart. Psalm 37:4
In the two and a half years that we have had Remy, I have not regretted having him even for a single moment. We don’t have a fenced in yard- so it is quite the commitment to walk him several times a day. He gives us so much joy. I love watching the girls play with him and take on more responsibilities with him as they get older. When they have a bad day, all they want to do is snuggle with him. He brings us closer together as a family and it is a joy to have him in our household! And praise the Lord- most of the sneezes in the house are from Remy, not my allergy- plagued family! He makes us happy, happy, happy!
So, what makes your dog awesome?